Sunday 6 June 2010

Soul Souper Soup!

3 carrots
3 sticks of celery
2 onions
2 cloves of garlic
olive oil
400g (14oz) tin of cannellini beans
200g (7oz) cauliflower
200g broccoli
200g spinach (I used baby spinach leaves)
2 large ripe tomatoes (I used two handfuls of cherry toms)
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper (I added this. Because it makes you feel alive!)
1.8 litres hot chicken or vegetable stock
(JO uses 2 stock cubes; I used Marigold vegetable stock powder)

1.Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a big pot over medium heat.
2.Chop up the celery, carrots, onions and garlic.
3.Chuck the above veggies in the pot. Cook for around 12 minutes until the carrots have softened but still holding their shape.
4.Meanwhile drain the cannellini beans. Break up the cauli and broccoli into small florets. Quarter the tomatoes.
5.Add those veggies to the pan along with the hot stock. Stir together.
6.This is where I added a few good shakes of cayenne pepper.
7.Bring to the boil the simmer for 10 minutes until the veggies are tender. This was more like 20 on my crappy stove.
8.When ready to serve, add the spinach to the pot and cook a further 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
9.Season with S&P.
JO says you can blend half the soup if you like it less chunky, but that would mean more washing up! He also suggests drizzling it with some extra virgin olive oil, which I'd never tried before but it was bloody delicious. This is the second JO soup I've made this month and they both had spinach chucked in at the end - that iron-y flavour

JO's recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment